QPP Banner

QPP Banner

Etsy Mini

Monday, January 13, 2014

Book Review: Let It Be Me by Toni Aleo

Let It Be Me
by Toni Aleo
Kindle Edition, 352 pages
ASIN: B00FIUA29Q
Source: Ebook - Owned

Goodreads | Amazon


Do you see that woman there?
The one with long, wavy blond hair and blue eyes that used to sparkle?
That’s me, Violet Moore.
Do you see those men over there?
One is my husband, Rob.
A man who claimed he loved me, but proved his fist loved me more.
The other is Tucker McCloud, my savior and confidant.
I'm torn between what's right and my own fear.
But not anymore.
I’m taking my life back now.
I will fight back.
I will be happy.
************************************************************


This is a bit of a tough one to gauge the rating for.  I really liked the love story of Violet and Tucker but it was tough because it is really about a woman who is abused physically and emotionally by her husband and has no idea how to get out of the horrible marriage.  Violet is being controlled by Rob (her husband) and he has control of her money and her life as a whole.  He beats her regularly and even caused her to lose their baby.  This is a story about self preservation and learning to love yourself before you can be loved 100%.

Violet meets Rob in college and get married and as soon as Violet says "I Do" Rob abuses her.  They have been married for 3 years and Violet is only 23.  Rob moves them to a different state to keep her away from anyone that she knows so she is stuck with him and no one to help her.  Violet gets a job as an office manager for Dr. McCloud.  Only Dr. McCloud's wife was the previous office manager and now she is retiring and her husband Dr. McCloud has decided to do the same.  Dr. McCloud has turned the practice over to his son, Tucker.  Tucker and Violet have an instant connection.  Violet has not been this turned on it quite sometime, if ever.  After losing her baby she has been so scared to even have sex that she has a condition called Vaginismus.  I had to look it up myself because I wanted to know if it was a real condition.  It is a real condition.  It is amazing the things you can learn.

This makes her situation feel even more helpless.  Who will want her if she cannot have sex with them.  With the help of her new support group for battered woman and Tucker's unwavering love Violet is able to find strength within herself.  She is planning on leaving Rob and filing for divorce.


The end of this story is predictable but I still enjoyed the outcome and throughout the story you do want to scream at Violet to "Just leave, take the help offered, just get away from that monster".  The 1st 50% I was screaming at her.  I have never been in an abusive relationship so I did not understand all the excuses for not leaving.  Some how, some way you will figure it out I think but not having the knowledge from the other POV makes a big difference with this story I think.  I kept an open mind and just kept reading.  All and all it was a good flow.  I found some grammatical errors that should have been caught but nothing so bad to make you want to stop reading.


Rating: 3 STARS 

Happy Reading!