QPP Banner

QPP Banner

Etsy Mini

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Book Review: Destroyed by Pepper Winters

Destroyed
by Pepper Winters
Kindle Edition, 408 pages 
ASIN: B00IUNAHZ2
Source: Ebook - Own

Goodreads | Amazon

21398612

She has a secret. 

I’m complicated. Not broken or ruined or running from a past I can’t face. Just complicated. 

I thought my life couldn’t get any more tangled in deceit and confusion. But I hadn’t met him. I hadn't realized how far I could fall or what I'd have do to get free. 

He has a secret. 

I’ve never pretended to be good or deserving. I chase who I want, do what I want, act how I want. 

I didn’t have time to lust after a woman I had no right to lust after. I told myself to shut up and stay hidden. But then she tried to run. I’d tasted what she could offer me and damned if I would let her go. 

Secrets destroy them. 

**Pepper Winters is known for her Dark Erotica. This book is more a Grey Romance. It isn't fluffy, and still deals with darker subjects, but it isn't brutal.** 

Destroyed is a complicated love story between a man with a terrible past and a woman who holds his cure. A man who finds redemption in love and a woman who loses her heart and reason for living. 

Death brings life, and destruction brings new beginnings. 


**********************************************************
Pepper Winters is an author whom I have not had the pleasure of reading any of her books yet, until Destroyed.  Online with Amazon reviews differ from 1 star to 5 star ratings and there is a mixed feeling on this book.  Most of the reviews state that this is the DARKEST and MOST TROUBLED character she has ever written.  They also state that if this is the 1st book you have read of hers and disliked it to try another one because ROAN/FOX is a unique character.

My 2 star rating is based on the darkness of Roan's character.  While I understood most of the problems he faced in his present and future from his past experiences he was a scary character for me.  I loved Roan for what I knew this character could be.  Roan could be loving, caring, sweet, thoughtful. trustworthy...... But to get Roan to that point was a struggle for the opposing main female character Hazel.

The story starts off with Hazel and Clue two roommates who go to an underground fight club to meet up with the man Clue started dating Ben.  At this underground club we meet Fox the owner and fighter.  Fox and Hazel have an instant connection and neither character has ever wanted to another before.  This is a unique chemistry for both to come across in their lifetime.  Fox immediately has to know why he feels a pull to this woman and basically kidnaps her and pays her to stay with him.  Hazel is scared but cannot say no to the money.  She is a single mother and her daughter has a grave illness that requires expensive medicine to extend her life.  Hazel takes the deal.

Throughout the story you get hints of what is wrong with Hazel's little girl Clara, but they don't give you all the details until 80% through the book which was a little frustrating.  Fox has a problem with touching people and people touching him.  He basically rapes and almost kills Hazel because he cannot control the reaction he has to people touching him.  Hazel has no choice but to try to forgive him and stick it out with him since she still needs the money.

Fox meets Clara by accident and his world is changed. Roan is born again and Clara is a light for him.  A new reason to get under control.  Roan falls in love with Clara and wants to give her the world.  He is in love with Hazel but now falling for Clara makes his love for Hazel even more intense.

Roan and Hazel both struggle with Roan's past and the triggers that send him into KILL mode.  Hazel life is in danger 24/7 with Roan and Roan constantly tries to control his violent tendencies.  

Both Hazel and Roan struggle through a shared tragedy and Hazel struggles with guilt and grief surrounding a new love to enter her life.  Roan tries to clean out his past GHOSTS by hurting the people who stole his life from him and leave Hazel to deal with the tragedy alone.

Roan asks for forgiveness from Hazel more times than I could keep track of in this story and Hazel always struggles with trusting and loving Roan with and protecting herself physically and emotionally from Roan.

For me this book was a self journey of one man looking for redemption and love and a woman who would sacrifice herself to help him.  I did not see this as a healthy relationship for either character but I did understand that the characters had no will power to change their future together as they did not want to live without the other or felt they could not live without the other.

It was a tough read for me and a little too much darkness and tragedy for my taste. I feel that Pepper Winter is a good writer and I can see reading other stories of hers in the future.  There were very few editing errors and all in all well written.

RATING: 2 STARS

Happy Reading!